Quantcast

Thursday, June 19, 2008

5:00 Fridays


It's time to get dirty! Ooh, Mac Daddy's getting all hot and bothered under the collar just reading that. He'll be totally busted if he's reading this at work. Not that he reads his wife's personal blog at work, when he is busting his ass being productive as all get out on The Man's time. I bet all his friends are jealous that his wife even makes mention of getting dirty. What man doesn't want to hear his wife utter those words? You know there are visions of a stripper pole being installed in our bedroom right now. I bet that's what he had in mind when I invited some women over to redecorate our bedroom.

But let's be real folks, my parents read this blog.

Today's happy hour cocktail is one that Mac Daddy introduced me to, with much cajoling...the Dirty Martini. The dirtier the better. It's about the only dirt this girl can take, unless we're dishin' it. Seeing that this is the home of Dirt & Noise, it seemed only appropriate to mark the weekend with the oh so tasty Dirty (& Noisy) Martini.

Hendrick's is the consummate summer time liquor. A luxuriously subtle cucumber infusion, mixed with the usual juniper, is downright sublime. A tasty treat year round, but particularly delightful in the heat of summer. Oh, what fun to be a food and drink writer! Perhaps only naming lipstick and nail polish would be more fun. If you have not yet tried Hendricks', run, don't walk, to the nearest liquor store and buy some now. Bring your American Express card because it's unlikely you'll have enough cash to cover it. So. Worth. It. We just found it on special and stocked up.

So here you go, a Dirty (& Noisy) Martini:

1 1/2 ounces Hendrick's gin (Nothing else will do! Trust me here.)
Healthy splash of olive juice (Splurge on the good ones, not the salad bar crap with the dyed red soggy pimentos. Bleu cheese or garlic stuffed olives are smashing.)
3, no fewer, olives skewered on a toothpick for garnish (fancy or plain toothpicks, I'm partial to the little plastic swords)

Mix the Hendrick's and olive juice in a sterling silver shaker with ice. Any shaker will do, of course, but a sterling silver one sets the mood in a Gatsby-esque way that plastic just won't touch. Shake vigorously until teeny tiny ice crystals form. Your hand will be frozen a la the tongue in A Christmas Story. Strain and pour into martini glasses and add skewer of olives.

Toast to the good life. Enjoy responsibly; eat a hearty snack while you imbibe. The drunken olives don't count as the snack.

Cheers!
5:00 FridaysSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The first paragraph of your post?? ...I'm rolling over here. Hysterical. CHEERS!

amanda said...

oh that just looks too yummy!!

happy pow :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the dirty tip and talking dirty...LOL

A Crafty Mom said...

Mmmmmmm, I think I need a drink now :-)

Great blog! I have two boys as well, one is very, VERY "spirited", lol. I'm reading "Raising Your Spirited Child" right now, lol.

McMommy said...

Yumm! Just what I needed on my little POW-hopping adventure! Thanks!

Megan said...

Love the blog - how have I not found it before now? Fellow blue (and brown) girl in a red (and white) state here.

Looking forward to reading more. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

I love very dirty martinis. Probably my favorite cocktail.