Quantcast

Thursday, March 19, 2009

5:00 Fridays



Mac Daddy and I recently had a gastronomic orgasm at The Oxford, a new gastropub in downtown Raleigh. The panko fried avocado appetizer was ridiculously marvelous. And the funny thing is, every time we encounter someone who has eaten there, we grab ahold each other's arms, eyes wide, mouths watering, and exclaim, "Did you try the panko fried avocado?!" It is that freaking good. If it's ever 86ed from the menu, I'm not going back, even if the creme brulee was fantastic.

I enjoyed The Oxford's signature cocktail, that is perfect for the warm weather that is coming any minute now. Hear me, Mother Nature?!

Pimm's Cup, courtesy of The Oxford

Fill a cocktail glass with ice. Add 1.5 oz Pimms #1, which is a gin-based liquor from England. Only six people on the planet know the secret recipe, a concoction of gin, spices, fruit juices, and some other special ambrosia. You can buy it online here. Muddle some fresh cucumber and lemon and add it to your glass. Top with ginger ale. Garnish with a cucumber slice and a sprig of mint for color.

I'm telling you, this cocktail is perfect for a warm summer evening. The subtle hint of cucumber and lemon is the ticket to taste bud paradise. The Pimm's Cup goes down mighty easily, so go easy or go out with a teetotaler friend. Or, just call a cab.
5:00 FridaysSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

6 comments:

Helena Handbasket said...

I love Pimms! The Pimms Cup is one of my favs and I will drink it anytime of the year. There are lots of great drinks to be made with Pimms. I like the Pimms Highball and Pimms Lemonade to name a few...

Anonymous said...

Oh yum. I may have to take a road trip to Raleigh for such awesome grub!

Ilina said...

Green Girl, come to Raleigh any time. We love Wisconsinites in these parts! My husband would be thrilled to chat with someone from his neck of the woods.

Helena, I just crack up every time I see your name. Perfection.

Anonymous said...

This sounds great. And I'm loving your enthusiasm for the panko fried avocado, even though I have no idea what that is!

Happy Friday

Anonymous said...

I used to drink Pimms on the Thames River in England... memories.. it reminds me of days warmer enough not to need a jacket but hoping you've had enough Pimms that you won't feel the damp chill walking home.

banana peel said...

Glad you followed up on your posting promise. I love your writing flair. I can almost taste it. Yeah, it's coming to me; it tastes like- panko fried avocados, washed down with a spirited Pimm's Cup!

Your Gastropub Waiter