Quantcast

Friday, April 17, 2009

5:00 Fridays

When I lived in Minnesota there was nothing better than downing a hot sake after a nipple numbing walk from the car to the restaurant. Now that spring is on my doorstep (I just know it is!), I want to find some new ways to enjoy sake, one of my faves from the days of yore.
I've been playing around a bit and wanted to share my latest concoction. It's a mighty fine tasty treat when a gentle breeze is warming your teat.

Sake It To Me
6 slices of peeled cucumber
Juice of half a lime
Handful of fresh mint
1 1/2 teaspoons simple syrup
Ice
2 ounces dry sake

Whip up some simple syrup. Here's how:

Combine 1 cup of white sugar with 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Cool.


Bulleted ListWhen the simple syrup is cooled, put 5 slices of cucumber, lime juice, mint, and simple syrup to an old fashioned glass (also know as a lowball or rocks glass). Muddle it all together against the glass with the back of a spoon or muddler. Admittedly, the muddler resembles some sort of kitchen sex toy, but I digress. Now add a handful of ice to a cocktail shaker. Pour the sake and cucumber/lime/mint mixture over the ice. Shake until it's ice-fleck-Minnesota-nipple-freeze cold. Strain into a chilled wine glass. Garnish with a cucumber slice.

And order sushi in tonight. There's no time to cook while you're busy sipping one of these.

5:00 FridaysSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

2 comments:

dadshouse said...

Back in the days of the dot-com boom, there was a Japanese restaurant in Palo Alto that was expensive as all get out (and we didn't care! Because it was the boom times! Ha. Wish I had those dollars now) They served the BEST sake. They'd serve samplers - you'd get a bunch of little shot glasses, and pick which one you liked best. Ah, the boom times...

Your sake enjoying recipe sounds great

DCUrbanDad said...

I am ready for Mojitos.